This programme is designed in such a way that it integrates with our new MBA and thus not only provides academic synergy but also a pathway to our renowned MBA programme. Students that progress onto the MBA programme will be granted credits for the following modules on the MBA programme:
The PDBA aims to provide talented, professional men and women with a broad-based theoretical and practical knowledge of Business Management. The primary purpose of this qualification is two-pronged. Firstly, it broadens your knowledge of the business environment by preparing you for the challenges faced in the workplace and to grasp the concept of business management. Secondly, it provides you with the necessary knowledge, understanding and ability required to not only manage other employees, but also your own future successfully.
This PDBA further provides broad exposure to the processes and functions of business management within the context of an integrated, holistic organisational approach and a transforming socio-economic setting.
At NMMU Business School, prospective PDBA part-time students are required to meet the following minimum requirements:
- A three-year National Diploma or Degree at an NQF Level 6 and 7 respectively. Should you have completed your qualification through a college, you would have to have the qualification SAQA approved.
- A minimum of three years general working experience.
- Applicants must reside within a 60 km radius of the NMMU Business School in Port Elizabeth.
- Be fluent in English. Applicants not fluent in English will be required to produce an English Proficiency certificate to verify English language skills.
Once the above minimum requirements have been met, students will be asked to:
- Write a Psychometric (SHL) test or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). All applicants are required to complete the psychometric test as part of the application process. Students need to score a 5 or higher on the SHL test. Students writing the GMAT test need to obtain a score of 520 or higher.
- Students that score a 5 or higher on the SHL test or a 520 or higher on their GMAT will be asked to partake in an application interview.
PDBA Part-time Explained
The PDBA part-time programme is presented as a part-time course over one year to students residing within a 60km radius of Port Elizabeth.
|Integrated Management Practice
Accounting for Business*
Human Resource Strategy
Exit: PDBA degree
* Foundation programme for Management Accounting.
Two to three evening classes per week from 17:30 to 20:30.
The programme is divided into three (3) trimesters (12 weeks per trimester).
All students accepted onto the PDBA programme are assigned to a syndicate group. Group members are selected and assigned according to their professional expertise and experience so as to best replicate a management team in the working environment. You will be required to meet with your group members on a regular basis (at least once a week) to work on assignments and projects.
Tests and Exams
All tests and exams are written in Port Elizabeth.
Campus & Delivery Point
Main Campus & International Head Office
NMMU Business School
Second Avenue Campus
Port Elizabeth, 6000
Learning Methods & Techniques
Formal Lectures. Analyses of case studies. International Guest Speakers and Lecturers. Facilitated Group Discussion. Presentation of Group Assignments. Conducting applied research on real business problems.
International Learning Experience
An international learning experience is offered through our network of Business School Affiliates around the world and the NMMU International Office as well as our cohort of international students.
Our faculty and lecturers are the driving force behind our cutting-edge programmes and provide the best learning experience.
Media, industry, working individuals and professionals, government and leaders turn to our faculty for the latest insights, knowledge and expertise.
We are driven by a set of values geared to ensure that employees and students are holistically empowered as leaders, innovators, agents of change and independent thinkers that will contribute to ecological and economic sustainability and the upliftment of community and society.
ESTIMATED FEE STRUCTURE FOR PDBA: PART-TIME PROGRAMME (FEES ARE SUBJECT TO A YEARLY 10% INCREASE)
|Enrolment Fee||R1 122|
|SHL Test||R950 (non-refundable)|
|Module Fees (8 x core modules)||R37 440|
|Accounting for Business module||R4 680|
|Textbooks (estimate) x 8 @ R750 each||R6 000|
|Total Year 1||R50 192|
Please Note: Before registration a down payment of R3 500 will apply. This amount will be seen as a deposit and will be deducted from your total module fees.
Application Process & Deadlines
Once you have considered the PDBA part-time admission requirements and feel qualified to apply for the PDBA degree, you can begin the application process.
- Submit your application forms and supporting documentation at: https://www.nmmu.ac.za/Apply/Admission/How-do-I-apply and fill in the Graduate School work experience related application form at: https://nmmuapplications.svc-online.com/
- First review: Once you have submitted all the required documents, your application will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the minimum acceptance criteria.
- You will receive a notification of the first review outcome.
- If you meet the criteria for the first review you will be contacted to write the psychometric test.
- Second review: you will be informed of your psychometric or GMAT test score.
- Depending on your second review outcome, the test will be followed by an application interview.
- Final approval of your PDBA application will take place and you will receive notification of the outcome a week after your interview.
- Registration: once you have received your letter of acceptance for the PDBA programme you will be informed about the registration process.
Please ensure that you upload all of the documents listed below or your application will not be processed:
- Complete the Graduate School Application Form (online electronic link)
- NMMU Application Form (online electronic link)
- Copy of your Identification Document
- Certified copy of your Qualification
- Certified copy of your Academic Record/Transcript
- Certified copy of your Senior Certificate
- Marriage Certificate (female applicants only – if applicable)
Application Closing Date
Applications will commence in May and the first closing date for applications will be 31 October. Late applications will be accepted until 20 January 2017.
It is important to apply early if you want to secure a place on the programme.