Cape Town, Gauteng, Durban & East London
For many people the frenetic nature of today’s organisations means that it is not possible for them to attend a full-time or part-time MBA programme. People in these situations need an MBA programme that can allow them to manage their study programme in a block format while providing them with the support that a good programme can offer.
At NMMU Business School, prospective MBA candidates will be put through a rigorous selection process. Prospective students are required to meet the following minimum requirements:
- A minimum , applicable, four-year Bachelor’s degree at NQF Level 8; a relevant Postgraduate Diploma (in for instance Business Administration (PDBA)) at NQF Level 8; or an applicable Honours degree at NQF Level 8. Students with a B-degree or National Diploma must first do the PDBA over 1 year to get access to the MBA.
- A minimum of three years management or five years business working experience.
- Applicants must reside within a 60 km radius from one of its centres (Gauteng, Cape Town, Durban or East London).
- Be fluent in English. Applicants not fluent in English will be required to produce an English Proficiency certificate to verify English language skills.
Once the above minimum requirements have been met, students will be asked to:
- Write a Psychometric (SHL) test or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). All applicants are required to complete the psychometric test as part of the application process. Students need to score a 5 or higher on the SHL test. Students writing the GMAT test need to obtain a score of 520 or higher.
- Students that score a 5 or higher on the SHL test or a 520 or higher on their GMAT will be asked to partake in an application interview.
MBA Block Release explained
The MBA block release programme is presented over two years to students residing in, and around, one of its centres (Gauteng, Cape Town, Durban or East London - within a 60km radius).
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2|
|TRIMESTER 1||TRIMESTER 1|
Data Analysis & Decision Making
Accounting for Business*
Research Project Proposal
|TRIMESTER 2||TRIMESTER 2|
People Management (replaces Organisational Behaviour)
|Business Research Project
|TRIMESTER 3||TRIMESTER 3|
Elective Leadership 1*
|Business Research Project
Exit: MBA Degree
* Leadership is a year module.
* Accounting for Business is a foundation programme for Financial Management.
ELECTIVES (can select any 2)
- Competitive Intelligence
- Sustainable Development
- Lean Enterprise Management
- Management of Technology
- Project Management
PLEASE NOTE: Electives run over 4 days in Port Elizabeth, from 08:00 – 17:00. Compulsory for all MBA students (Part-Time and Block Release).
The programme is presented as follows:
- Three study visits to Port Elizabeth (PE) per year.
Each year is divided into 3 trimesters (12 weeks per trimester). You will be required to travel to PE for a study visit at the beginning of each trimester (February, May and August). The study visit in PE normally runs from Wednesday to Saturday and attendance is compulsory. The study visit at the beginning of the year (February) is slightly longer than the last two study visits in order to allow for orientation (Monday – Saturday). You will be required to be in PE for a total of 11 working days a year.
- Eighteen (18) video conferencing sessions. These take place every second Saturday at one of NMMU Business School’s video conferencing sites (Gauteng, Cape Town, Durban or East London). The live video sessions allow for a virtual classroom experience where students and lecturer can interact with each other.
- Lecturer visits to Gauteng, Cape Town, Durban and East London (3 times a year on a weekend). Each MBA student is required to complete two to three modules (subjects) per trimester. The academic staff involved in presenting these modules will visit your delivery point on a weekend to lecture for a full Saturday at each centre.
Gauteng: Centurion Academy, Highveld Campus, 48 Charles de Gaulle Crescent, Centurion, Gauteng.
Cape Town: Prestige Academy, Bellville Business Park, DJ Wood Way, Bellville, Cape Town.
Durban: South African Sugar Association, Kwa-Shukela, Conference Centre, 170 Flanders Drive, Mount Edgecombe.
East London: NMMU Business School East London and Border Kei Office, 63 Devereux Avenue, Vincent, East London.
All students accepted onto the MBA programme are assigned to a syndicate group. Group members are selected and assigned according to their professional expertise and experience so as to best replicate a management team in the working environment. MBA students will work together in their groups over the two year period. You will be required to meet with your group members on a regular basis (at least once a week) to work on assignments.
Tests and Exams
All tests and exams are written at the delivery points (Gauteng, Cape Town, Durban or East London).
Campus & Delivery Point
The delivery points for the video conferencing sessions, tests and exams and day visits are:
- Gauteng: Centurion Academy, Highveld Campus, 48 Charles de Gaulle Crescent, Centurion, Gauteng.
- Cape Town: Prestige Academy, Bellville Business Park, DJ Wood Way, Bellville, Cape Town.
- Durban: South African Sugar Association, Kwa-Shukela, Conference Centre, 170 Flanders Drive, Mount Edgecombe.
- East London: NMMU Business School East London and Border Kei Office, 63 Devereux Avenue, Vincent, East London.
Learning Methods & Techniques
Formal Lectures. Analyses of case studies. International Guest Speakers and Lecturers. International study visits. Facilitated Group Discussion. Presentation of Group Assignments. Conducting applied research on real business problems.
International Learning Experience
An international learning experience is offered through our network of Business School Affiliates around the world and the NMMU International Office as well as our cohort of international students.
Included in our programme are optional overseas study trips as part of formal learning programmes, study abroad opportunities at partner universities and an international pool of guest lecturers.
Our faculty and lecturers are the driving force behind our cutting-edge programmes and provide the best learning experience.
Media, industry, working individuals and professionals, government and leaders turn to our faculty for the latest insights, knowledge and expertise.
We are driven by a set of values geared to ensure that employees and students are holistically empowered as leaders, innovators, agents of change and independent thinkers that will contribute to ecological and economic sustainability and the upliftment of community and society.
ESTIMATED FEE STRUCTURE MBA: BLOCK RELEASE PROGRAMME (FEES ARE SUBJECT TO A YEARLY 10% INCREASE)
|Registration Fee||R1 122|
|SHL Test||R950 (non-refundable)|
|Core Module Fees (6 x core modules)||R28 080|
|Module Fee (Leadership)||R4 680|
|Module Fee (Accounting for Business, Management Accounting)||R9 360|
|Elective Module||R4 680|
|Textbooks (estimate) x 8 @ R750 each||R6 000|
|Total Year 1||R54 872|
|Core Module Fees (2 x core modules)||R9 360|
|Module Fee (Leadership, Management Economics)||R9 360|
|Elective Module||R4 680|
|Research Project||R7 610|
|Textbooks (estimate) x 4 @ R750 each||R3 000|
|Total Year 2||R34 010|
|TOTAL (for entire 2 years of study)||R88 882|
- Before registration a down payment of R3 500 will apply. This amount will be seen as a deposit and will be deducted from your total module fees.
- FLEXIBLE PAYMENT OPTIONS: ±R4 000 a month.
Application Process & Deadlines
Once you have considered the MBA admission requirements and feel qualified to apply for the MBA programme, you can begin the application process:
- Submit your application forms and supporting documentation at: https://www.nmmu.ac.za/Apply/Admission/How-do-I-apply and fill in the Graduate School work experience related application form at: https://nmmuapplications.svc-online.com/ .
- First review: Once you have submitted all the required documents, your application will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the minimum acceptance criteria.
- You will receive a notification of the first review outcome.
- If you meet the criteria for the first review you will be contacted to write the psychometric test.
- Second review: you will be informed of your psychometric or GMAT test score.
- Depending on your second review outcome, the test will be followed by an application interview.
- Final approval of your MBA application will take place and you will receive notification of the outcome a week after your interview.
- Registration: once you have received your letter of acceptance for the MBA programme you will be informed about the registration process.
Please ensure that you provide all of the documents listed below or your application will not be processed for first review:
- Complete the Graduate School Application Form (online electronic link)
- NMMU Application Form (online electronic link)
- Certified copy of your Identification Document
- Certified copy of your Qualification
- Certified copy of your Academic Record/Transcript
- Certified copy of your Senior Certificate
- Marriage Certificate (female applicants only – if applicable)
- Essay about life experiences, goals, attitudes and values
Application Closing Date
Applications will commence in May and the first closing date for applications will be 31 October. The late closing date for applications is 20 January 2017.